The Qualification Support Team (QST) for vocational Computing qualifications met on 19th March in the SQA Glasgow Office. This was a combined meeting to cover both Advanced (HN/PDA) and Non-advanced (NPA/NC/NU) qualifications.
The QST discussed the proposals from the SQA centres and the following changes to the existing qualifications have been approved:
- Add F3GB11 Communication and F3GF 11 Numeracy to GC8R 45 NC Computer Games Development as optional units
- Add H17W 34 Software Development: Developing Small Scale Standalone Applications as an optional unit to G9NX 15 HNC Computer Games Development
- Add D85F 34 Using Software Applications Packages as an optional unit to GF3E 15 HNC Computing, GG7D 16 HND Computer Science, GG7C 16 HND Computing; Software Development and GG7F 16 HND Computing: Technical Support
- Add D75X 34 Information Technology: Applications Software 1 as an optional unit to GF3E 15 HNC Computing, GG7D 16 HND Computer Science, GG7C 16 HND Computing; Software Development and GG7F 16 HND Computing: Technical Support
- Add H173 34 Developing Software: Introduction as an optional unit to G8CX 16 HND Information Technology
- Add DH35 34 Computing: Planning as an optional to HNC/D Computing awards
The QST also approved the production of a new Assessment Support Pack (ASP) for D75X 34 Information Technology: Applications Software 1.
The QST emphasized the importance of including a Testing unit into HNC/D Computing award to teach learners how to read codes and design patterns. SQA will look into the options of developing a new unit or using an existing one.
SQA updated the QST with the recent qualification development. The QST was very keen on the development for NPAs in Cyber Security at SCQF levels 4, 5 and 6 and suggested HNC/D Cyber Security to be developed to provide a natural progression route.
Caroline and I will take forward these action. Contact me about the non-advanced changes and contact Caroline about the advanced changes.